Self-Assessment Final

Jennifer Guallpa

Professor Ewan

FIQWS

13 May 2019

Self Assessment

Dear, Professor Ewan and CCNY administrators ,

When first starting my first English class at CCNY, I was nervous because I am not a strong writer and I thought that I will have a hard time in the course. In this course I have learned many things throughout this course that has helped me improve my writing and taught me new ways to review, edit, and more. I have learned many things and was able to learn new skills within the course that I will be applying to future writings in hopes that my writing improves with it.

When we first learned about source introduction I was confused but I was able to learn how to correctly use them and incorporate them in my writing. Source introduction is used when you are bringing outside sources and involving them in your writing. Source introduction is involved with signal phrase because before being able to use source identification it is best to use source introduction first. Signal phrase is used when introducing a quote or paraphrasing and it involves the authors full name with a strong verb following it and some context of the article or reading. When signal phrase is used it is not a necessity to include the author’s name and page number since the author has already been credited. When citing and using signal phrases, the page number must be added before the period in order to credit the source.

In addition to being taught about source introduction and signal phrase, we also learned about the importance of citation and how to cite sources correctly so that the authors work is credited. We learned the four main reasons for citation and the four main means of citation, which make sure that the author of the original source receives credit. The four main reasons for citation makes sure that the writer does not plagiarize work and makes sure that the author is credited for their work. The four main means of citation are in-text citation, end-text citation, signal phrase, and source intros that make sure that are work is separated from the source that is being used and to make the writers thoughts known to the reader. While being able to develop more of an understanding about citation we learned how the use of parenthetical citation is important to have within our writing. Also, we were taught how fallacies are important when it comes to writing because depending on which one the writer uses for there writing it can have an impact on the reader as well. In the course I was able to be more informative of a thesis because my definition of a thesis would be a statement that the writer will be focusing on. However, there is more to a thesis such as that it is a controlling device where it can make the parameters examination to a statement. Having a thesis is important in your writing since it is needed in order to make sure that the evidence that was use is able to support that claim. I was able to incorporate these MLA codes into my writings, especially when I was writing my argumentative essay since I was able to use these codes to create  proper citations and provide proper quotes from the sources that were used.

Additionally, I was able to learn more about MLA format especially on how it is used  when it is time to conclude my writing. While concluding my essay, I make sure that I involve signal phrase when recapping the important points made throughout the writing. This can help me by reminding the reader the important points throughout the essay so that the reader can be informed about the topics main points. Having a better understanding of the MLA format and its codes has helped me improved my writing and their importance in my writings.

Not only did the course helped me understand more about writing it has also helped me developed new skills that I use for other subjects. For example, when reviewing my work I will reread my writing by looking at a screen however, I have noticed that I am able to see more of my errors that go unnoticed when I am reviewing my work on my computer. Printing out a physical copy of my writing helps see any errors and makes it easier to edit my work. Also, I see that I approach my writing differently. There are many ways of how someone may approach there writing and I have always approached my writing in an A to Z manner where I would just start writing and edit throughout it. I find it more efficient now when I have an outline of some sort that helps me guide the way I would want to form my essay.

Furthermore, when we reviewed or peers work and received suggestions from them was also very helpful for my writing. It gave me someone else’s point of view on my writing and whenever they pointed something else I would notice it and make sure that I took their advice. For example when we peer reviewed our proposal for our expository essays,  Promise Butler reviewed my work and gave me useful suggestions about it. She suggested that my proposal could be better by making sure I do not repeat myself, and by pointing out how I did not clarify my thesis in my writing (Butler). I took her suggestions into consideration and and then reviewed my writing to find out that I need to take her suggestions and apply them to my proposal in order to improve it.

When I peer reviewed Luz Polanco’s essay for the literacy narrative, I suggested that in her proposal she should clearly state the topic you are planning to write about in your paper about puppetry in therapy. Also that she should clearly express her interest on the topic by explaining her first thought about the topic and the questions that she asked where relevant to your topic as well. Their were some things that were confusing such as the part where she said “Puppets dialogue …” I was confused with this part because I didn’t understand what she  meant by dialogue. I recommend changing the word to something else or explaining it a bit more. Also in her first paragraph she could further explain “…many can come out of it.” I recommended that she should make this point a little clearer because it is confusing since she was talking about dialogue and then said that “many” can come out of it. Also she can revise her proposal because their are just some grammar and punctuation mistakes. Lastly, she could explain her thoughts about puppetry in therapy and can explain the benefits since she did not specify it in her writing.

While being in this FIQWS course, I was able to learn how to use the database due to it being a requirement for some of our assignments. When I first used the database I was confused with for awhile because I never used a database. I remembered that we had a workshop and used my notes about the database to help me guide myself through the database in order to find the sources I needed for my writing. Once I got use to using the database I realized that it was easy to guide through because if there’s is anything in particular that is needed being very specific makes it easier to find sources. Being able to locate sources in an organized manner was very helpful because I was able to find the sources I needed.

Also, the database was organized in many ways where all that had to be done was pressing the checkboxes to look are anything specific that is needed. This really helped when it came to writing the argumentative essay because we were only allowed to use news articles within in specific time period for the assignment. While being in this Fiqws course I was able to learn how to use a database and how to format it when it comes to an annotated bibliography or a works cited page. This new skill will be very helpful in the future for future assignments and it helped me get some experience where I wouldn’t be asking for help unless it is necessary.

Overall, I was able to learn many new things and furthermore develop my understandings on some topics. I was able to learn how to give proper credit to an author and there work when using it for my own writing. As well as learn new skills that can help me in the future for future assignments and a new ways on how to approach my writings and review/edit them. In this FIQWS course I was able to learn a great amount in a short time that has helped me with my writing throughout the way.